Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I sail, therefore I am.

So, I sail. Little known fact, but I race out of San Francisco Yacht Club on a Tartan 10 sailboat that my mom co-owns with a family friend. We do pretty well, too! We got a second place overall in the series of races that the Club sponsors every summer, and more importantly, we have fun!

That's me, waving like a dork. This was from a race in July. As I sit here in the fog, I am missing these days very badly!

And, this was a slightly colder day, one that my best friend Nikki was able to join us on. She'd never been sailing before, and has now become a regular member of our crew, which is great!

Here she is on board, in blue, facing the camera. She LOVES sailing!

So, to put things in perspective:

The QE3 is 33 feet long (10 meters), and the average speed is about 6 knots, which is probably about 7 miles per hour. We race within the confines of San Francisco Bay, on a course which is usually from Angel Island to the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe over to Alcatraz, and then back to Angel Island. I don't know how long that is, but it takes about 3 hours (so by my bad math - 21 miles ish). I rarely get wet.

In comparison, the Volvo Ocean Race is 9 legs, of God knows how many miles. They average 25-30 knots, or 28 to 40 miles per hour. That's DAMNED fast on a boat. They get drenched. Volvo boats are 70 feet long. Check out this crazy ass video from the last ocean race...I have a friend who is planning on doing it next year, and I think he's out of his freakin' frakkin' mind, but I also think it is so bloody cool! It's like how I read books on Mt. Everest but could never imagine ever ever climbing it. The Volvo Ocean Race is the sailor's Mt. Everest. People die.

This crazy video sums it all up - any takers?


In other more calm news, I have decided to knit the handle to my cable purse. I cast on 10 stitches, and am doing a K2, P1, C4R, P1, K2 pattern. I think it's going to be 20 inches long and very cute.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My state is landlocked, save for Lake Erie, which is about seven hours away. I don't sail, but I wish I did!

I had a sneaking suspicion that you would never blog again. Glad to see I was wrong!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marissa -hi!- will you post a photo of the handle you are knitting? I got 2 skeins of Lamb's Pride Burly Spun but haven't started knitting yet.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home